[NAFEX] lime sulfur

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Apr 6 15:56:58 EDT 2006

I think your analysis of the problem is correct.  I’m unsure about your
proposed treatment, and I look forward to hearing how it works out.  I don’t
think any healthy tissue will grow back over, at least not from the trunk
under the area.  Maybe at the margins, where you approach bark-covered
areas.  Beneath the damage, you’ll chisel down closer to living tissue,
maybe all the way down to it.  The surface may become firmer and dryer, and
inhospitable to fungi; or you may open the tree to infections.  If you’re
careful enough with the chisel to not cut into living tree, I don’t think
it’s likely you would make things any worse, and you might make things
better.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

  _____

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of mauch1 at aol.com
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 12:03 PM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] lime sulfur

>I have a cherry tree with a fungal problem.  White mushrooms growing from
>tree trunk.

>Can lime/sulfur be added to latex paint, and painted directly on the fungi

>to kill them?

I have a similar problem with an apricot tree.  The tree is about 4-5 inches
in diamter, and the visible fungi has spread to about half the trunk
diameter and extends from the ground into where the tree begins branching.

Observation.  I too have the white fungi, though mine looks more like shelf
fungi.  I believe they only came after the bark/tissue was already dead.  I
believe the problem started when the tree received winter damage from
cracking bark (warm sun followed by freezing temperatures).  The bark began
to ooze.  I call this 'gummosis', but I believe this was only a symptom not
the cause.  Possibly a bacterial infection?

What I'm planning to do.  I kept expecting the tree to die, but its been
going on for 3 years like this, with the dead area gradually widening.  I
think the healthy remaining tissue cannot recover as the moist/dead tissue
is continuing to infect the healthy tissue, and the dead tissue blocks the
regrowth.  So unless someone has a convincing anti-argument, I'm going to
remove the diseased dead tissue/bark with a chisel.

This should allow the wood underneath to dry out and not remain a source of
fungi.  The healthy tissue (theoretically), should be able to grow back
over.  Thoughts are welcome.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W