[NAFEX] Pawpaw seed--floaters and sinkers

road's end farm organic101 at linkny.com
Mon Nov 14 18:28:55 EST 2005

On Nov 13, 2005, at 8:29 PM, Richard Moyer wrote:

> Am cleaning pawpaw seed to ship to someone who will germinate them.
> About 1/2 sink and about 1/2 float.  Does one 1/2 or the other have a
> higher germination rate, after cold stratification, or do I assume
> they are all equally viable?  Anyone with pawpaw seed experience in
> this area?

Don't know about pawpaw; but with vegetable seed, at least the kinds
I've saved, the sinkers are likely to be viable and the floaters almost
certainly are not. Viable seed is denser, floaters immature or not
pollinated; as floaters don't have the embryo and/or sustaining
nutrients for it they weigh less, I think is the explanation. It would
make sense if this also applied to fruit (though because something
makes sense to me doesn't always mean it's so).

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly