[NAFEX] Fireblight worse than usual this year?

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue May 31 14:06:40 EDT 2005

Does the degree of fireblight you experience cause a loss of vigor or
production?

Are you amending your soil regularly - top dressings of compost and/or
applications of organic fertilizers formulated for fruit trees?

Disease resistant trees are still not usually disease proof, and healthy
soil does a lot to beef up their inbred resistance.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Rodney Eveland
Sent: Monday, May 30, 2005 7:06 PM
To: nafex at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: [NAFEX] Fireblight worse than usual this year?

Only on the pears so far. They bloomed and leafed out long before the
apples so were more effected by the frosts and snow storms which
followed. In a way I'm hoping they will die as they get it every
year., I think the salesman told me that all 3 of my varieties are
resistant. Even though they have gotten it every year it hasn't gone
beyond the leaves and this year it seemed  like many leaves turned
black and died while the ones right next to them remain untouched. I
could use the space for more tart cherries as they do really well for
me. Rodney in Northeast Wy