[NAFEX] Substitute for Surround

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Tue May 17 12:48:16 EDT 2005

It's an experiment the USDA has conducted.  It found milk to be an effective
treatment for fungal diseases and blossom end rot on tomatoes.  The former
effect may be due to encouraging the growth of friendly bacteria that
inhibit fungus growth, and the latter could simply have been due to the
calcium the milk provided.  It may have other applications.  It was tested
as a treatment, not a preventative.

When I have a plant disease I often try a spray made from powdered milk and
blender-liquified garlic.  It's very broad-acting.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Thomas Olenio
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 4:45 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Substitute for Surround

On Mon, 16 May 2005 17:38:03 EDT, <Dale3693 at aol.com> wrote:

> Here's a wild one----A friend who lives away up a canyon in Western
> Colorado asked me  if I thought one could spray on a thick solution of
> powdered milk

Hello,

If it stays on the leaves it would start breaking down, and create an acid
surface, deterring fungus.  Milk is often sprayed on roses to change to
PH, making surfaces acidic, and keeping black spot at bay.

Milk is also used to encourage lichen growth on new stonework, making it
look old.

I imagine that a "sticker" should be added to hold the milk on the leaves.

Not a bad experiment.

Later,
Tom

All other messages are discarded.