[NAFEX] Ants as biological control?

Rodney Eveland reveland at collinscom.net
Sat May 14 20:41:00 EDT 2005

While searching on bugs I came across articles that stated ants have
been and are today being used as biological controls of other insects.
Most of the articles mentioned their use in Citrus, Sweet Potato,
coconut and one other plant which I can't remember. One of my
relatives told me he know longer destroys red ant hills as they are
quite predatory - catching and eating mosquitoes that are hiding on
the bottom side of leaves to escape the heat of the day.

Anyone have any information about the "good side" of some ants? Can
some species be moved into an area where bad ants are using aphids as
"dairy cows"?