[NAFEX] Freeze Resistant Fruits

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Wed May 4 11:53:48 EDT 2005

At 02:06 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
>If you are growing selections of fruit that resist frost/freezes that
>normally damage such fruits, please let us know.
>Particularly:
>Kaki persimmons or kiwi that break dormancy much later, or rebloom
>after being frozen back.
Richard,
I didn't make it through the entire orchard this morning, but I did notice
that the Rosseyanka hybrid persimmon is weeks behind the American
varieties, and at least a week or so behind the various kakis and the
Keener hybrid.  While many of the larger Americans have been fully leafed
out for at least a couple of weeks, Rosseyanka's buds are just now swelling
& showing green; no unfurling yet.
Had another light frost last night, following one this past Saturday night,
and two nights of hard frost the previous weekend, which burned leaves on
pawpaws, persimmons, pecans, and walnuts.  I'm seeing quite a bit of
fireblight showing up, mainly on the Asian pears - don't know if it's
routine stuff that gained entrance at bloom, or if it is subsequent to
frost/freeze damage, as I've been out of the orchard for most of the last
two weeks, following the death of my father - too much other stuff going on
to keep an eye on what's been happening out there.

Lucky