[NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?

Lee Sharp leesharp at cableone.net
Wed May 4 07:06:36 EDT 2005

MessageRichard,
The Southern Queen pear originated in the vicinity of Wiggins, Ms. and  was recognized worthy of naming and propagating by Dr. Walter Davis, Retired Horticulturist. The chilling hours in that area probably would be slightly over 400 hours. Performance is reported to be satisfactory in the Houston,Tx. area which may have a lower number of chilling hours.
The Baldwin is a very good quality low chill pear. It is my favorite of the low chill European type. I have the first fruit crop this year on my Southern Queen and am anxious to compare the Baldwin and Southern Queen.
My orchard is less than two miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico in South Ms. and about a 45 minute drive from Wiggins,Ms.
Lee