[NAFEX] Low-chill, blight resistant pears?

Richard Frost frost at san.rr.com
Mon May 2 17:07:23 EDT 2005

Hi,

If possible, I would like to plant a pear tree in my garden.  My home is in
San Diego, CA.  Fruit trees with < 250 chill hour requirements do well here.
Fire-blight is pervasive -- there are miles of city streets planted with
flowering pear, etc. and all of them are moderately to severely infected.  I
have read on nafex about the Southern Queen pear, but cannot locate
information about chill hours, or availability.  The "Hood" cultivar is
known for low chill hours, but I have read conflicting reports from
arborists and nurseries about its blight resistance.  Some enlightenment
would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Richard Frost