[NAFEX] Saskatoons

bluestem_farm at juno.com bluestem_farm at juno.com
Mon Mar 28 22:04:28 EST 2005

Tanis,
I've seen Amelanchiers growing in the North woods, where I'm sure the soil is acidic.   My two cents worth is that if you can't grow them, it's because they are being eaten.  They grow fine here on our farm where the soil isn't particularly sweet (I can't tell you what it is 'cause we've never gotten it tested)  but I'm the only one who will ever see them because they get munched to ground level every year, usually by July.  When I moved one and fenced it against the deer, I discovered that rabbits will eat them to the ground, too--and that they could get through the deer fence.  I have one almost well enough barricaded, and the parts that aren't being eaten look fine.
Muffy

-- "Naomi"  wrote:

Well then you can grow blueberries...I can't.
Naomi