[NAFEX] Taste before planting Apple varities

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Mar 10 15:02:47 EST 2005

Bruce, be nice!  Everyone is certainly entitled to their subjective
opinions, especially in all matters of taste.
I do thank you specifically for the reminder of how good an AK Black is
after storage; and generally for the great apple info you post.  I should
have mentioned that although I like AK Blacks fine off the tree, they are
unexceptional until after a few months of storage.  It's one thing to grow
apples that keep well - it's a pleasant other to have some that improve.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Bruce Hansen
Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2005 8:35 AM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Taste before planting Apple varities

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org]On Behalf Of Charles Paradise
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:53 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: [NAFEX] Taste before planting Apple varities

Bruce Hansen wrote:
Please see response to each point, below.
> Charles:
>
> Have you grown Wolf River, Ark Black, Gala, Braeburn and Spitz?

My experience:
Wolf River:  tasted twice:  once in an assortment from Applesource [I think]
and once at an apple day in Massachusetts [an apple that can pass out of
existence with no loss, unless it grows better apples in another area]  A
short list of large apples 10X better than Wolf:  Tsuru [forgive spelling],
Danvers Sweet, 20oz Pippen.

I wonder if all those folk in Wisconsin and Minnesota were really stupid?

Ark Black - again, I think in an applesource assortment...but it may have
been from elsewhere.

Did you ever try one out of storage in February?