[NAFEX] Apple varities

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Wed Mar 9 16:42:41 EST 2005

The taste people want in apples is so very individual.  I like our locally
grown AK Black, Braeburn, Gala, and Spitzenberg (but haven't tried Esopus).
And, on Charlie's recommendation I will seek Westfield Seek-No-Further!  My
taste in apples runs to variety.  I wish I had room for at least 50 apples:
Akane, Baldwin, Red Fuji, Cox's Orange Pippen, Macoun, Spartan and English
Cox, for example.  You see, even though I like those first varieties, they
don't make my ever-changing absolute favorites list, but I happily buy them
when they're the best choice available.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Charles Paradise
Sent: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 12:37 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers
Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple varities

wolf river - bad idea - poor soft quality - only virtue is large - a good
large apple is 20 oz pippen, avail. from worcester county horticultural
society.

arkansas black - bad idea - keeps like rocks and about as edible.

Braeburn - why? - I wasn't aware it had quality.

Gala - great tree but sickeningly sweet - you like really sweet apples?

esop. spitz - good taste but a little dry - better apples exist like
westfield seek-no-further - why not go for the best?

Charlie Paradise Massachusetts