[NAFEX] Food cooked in aluminum

Jim Fruth jfruth at uslink.net
Mon Mar 7 08:26:57 EST 2005

    When the Madrigan® salesman sold me a set of stainless steel cookware,
he pretty much sold me with one of his demonstrations.  He made a sugar
syrup in one of my aluminum kettles.  He cooked it down until there was only
about one quarter inch at the bottom.  Then he passed it around for everyone
to sample.  That syrup was so bitter and it tasted terrible.  Back then the
word, "Alzheimer's" hadn't been coined yet.  The salesman pointed out that
the terrible taste would not have been noticed had he made a whole pot of
syrup but that a little bit of aluminum leached into nearly everything that
was cooked in it.  I sent my aluminum kettles to the recycler and bought a
set of stainless steel.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN