[NAFEX] direct seeding

Betty Mayfield bmayfield at columbia-center.org
Sat Mar 5 12:34:39 EST 2005

To the list,

Several years ago I experimented with direct seeding of tomatoes here in
western Oregon by using plastic gallon milk jugs as mini-greenhouses. I cut
out the bottom with a pair of tin snips, punched a hole in the top and
bottom of the handle and threaded a thin stake through it to anchor it into
the soil. The screw cap could be removed on a sunny day to prevent
excessive heat buildup.

Under each jug I planted 2 or 3 seeds, later thinned to the strongest. It
created enough heat in the spring to make each plant green and bushy. When
it filled the jug, I replaced the jug with a wire cage wrapped in clear
plastic until summer weather had arrived.

The plants were vigorous and yielded well. I had tried starting seeds
indoors and transplanting out at earlier times but lost a lot to damping
off, and the ones set out never really recovered from transplant shock.

Betty Mayfield