[NAFEX] Grown sweet potatoes on a pole?

athagan at atlantic.net athagan at atlantic.net
Sun Jul 31 21:32:07 EDT 2005

I've had rabbits eat my sweet potato vines from time to time, but
they've never managed to do any significant damage once they really
take off when the weather turns hot.

If you're going to be growing these things in New England it would
seem to me that growing season is going to be your biggest concern as
sweet potatoes are tropical in nature.  They don't like cool weather
much and a light frost will kill the vines dead.  There are several
varieties reputed to produce good tubers in ninety days.

Steele Plant Co. in Tennessee carries a nice selection of plants.  May
be a bit too late in the season for you by now though.

.....Alan.