[NAFEX] Surround Observations

Dean Kreutzer deankreutzer at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:30:06 EDT 2005

Hello all,

I've been doing a small study about the effectiveness of surround on cherry
fruit fly.  Supposedly surround controls Apple Maggot, which is similar to
cherry fruit fly.  I haven't harvested the cherries yet, so I don't know the
results, but I do have some interesting visual (not validated) observations
so far.  I think I have applied surround twice this year; it has been
difficult to keep a good coat on it due to the intermittent showers we have
had.

The fruit size of the surround row is smaller than the fruit on the other
rows.  Also, they appear to be completely ripe (18% brix) while the other
rows still have 1 week left to go (13% brix).

It is almost like applying surround hastened the ripening process, but
didn't allow the fruit to size up properly.  Supposedly surround will cause
the stomatas to remain open on very hot days (>80F), increasing
photosynthesis when normally the leaves would shut down.  We haven't had
that many burners this year, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with
it at all.

I also sprayed some apricot fruit, which is starting to color up now, but it
too hasn't sized up very well, about a ping pong ball size.  Granted, I
haven't fruited this particular cultivar before (Debbie's Gold) so I am
unsure as to how big it does get.

I sprayed surround on some of my apples, and they seem to be sizing up
steadily.

Has anyone else noted anything about using surround on stone fruit?

Thanks!

Dean Kreutzer
Over the Hill Orchards
www.overthehillorchards.ca