[NAFEX] bitter juneberries

Mike Levine mlevine at umich.edu
Tue Jul 26 15:33:32 EDT 2005

I noticed that the serviceberries here in Ann Arbor were much more bitter
this year than the previous few years.  I tend to like my serviceberries a
little on the underripe side (I like sour fruit) so I pick them when they
are still reddish instead of waiting until they are really dark purple.  I
noticed this year that the more purple they got the more bitter (and sweet)
they became.  I suspect most of the bitterness comes from the seeds and
perhaps when the seeds are immature they have less of the bitter component.
If you put the fruit through a squeezo and get out all the seeds I'll bet
you won't have any bitter flavor even if they are purple.

Mike Levine
Ann Arbor, MI
zone 5b