[NAFEX] Earliest Ripening Apple Mystery

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Jul 8 16:25:21 EDT 2005

At 01:58 PM 7/8/2005, S.Sadler wrote:
>Is your Quinte a graft?  When you graft a mangosteen branch onto rootstock
>it still thinks it's a branch and grows sideways - I wonder what other
>fruits behave the same?

Stephen,
I have an elderly friend who's been working at identifying and collecting
superior timber-type black walnuts across the Southeastern US for 30 years
or so, and while it's been mostly anecdotal observation on his part, it
seems that for that species - or at least the populations within that
species that he's worked with - that there is a significant problem with
'loss of juvenile traits' - particularly the desirable rapid, upright
growth habit - when topworking scions from an older mature tree onto
seedling rootstocks.  It either requires additional pruning/training to get
a good clean bole that would yield a good sawlog or perhaps cutting back
multiple times to induce rapid sucker-like growth that may revert back to a
more juvenile, vegetative style of growth.

Lucky