[NAFEX] Protecting the Butternut Tree

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Fri Jul 1 11:53:57 EDT 2005

At 08:06 PM 6/30/2005, I wrote:
> [...]

Will they move out into the woods?  That I don't know.  I'm planting them,
but it'll remain to be seen if the local wildlife &/or spring freshets will
distribute the seeds once they reach bearing age.  Even before the
appearance - or identification - of butternut blight disease, butternut was
not an exceptionally common tree in this area of the country.
I have a friend who grew up here and has been a consulting forester for at
least 20 years in this end of the state, and he indicated that he has never
seen a butternut in the wild.

Lucky