[NAFEX] USPS shipping efficiency

tanis grif tanisgrif at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 11:48:27 EST 2005

Another lister & I were discussing how best to ship scionwood.  Primarily, the
timing of it.  My concern is anything shipped late in the week, even via "Priority
Mail", is going to sit in a warehouse on Sunday & any holiday.  But, in these days
of needed-it-yesterday, and competition with other carriers, does USPS keep the mail
moving 24/7 ?

The other issue is, does one or 2 days' extra exposure to warm temperatures matter?
Certainly some fruit species break dormancy easier than others, and I suspect some
apple cultivars break easier than others.  I figure any little thing we can do to
prevent dormancy break of scionwood is an advantage in grafting.  So, how much
should we worry about prompt shipping?

Thanks for any input on these questions!

Tanis Cuff, s.WI, cold & wintery, no dormancy break today!