[NAFEX] Cox's problems

derry and bill wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Sat Aug 27 12:13:47 EDT 2005

Ed,

I certainly agree with you that 'Cox's is difficult to grow in maritime climates'.
It is very susceptible to anthracnose canker and this is a killer.

I've tried putting them on a stronger r/s e.g. M26 and increasing the calcium in
soil and in the apple, but they still die (of anthracnose) after a few years.

But having said that, hundreds of people are trying to find a Cox's that WILL
survive in a maritime climate. Lon may just have that strain. We're trying one
here called Poppy's Wonder that came to Victoria as a seed in an apple from
Britain. So far so good, but my tree is only two years old.

Derry in south coastal B.C., a true maritime climate.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Derry Walsh & Bill Chase
wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web pages: http://derrysorchardandnursery.ca

  Anyway the point is that Cox is so very difficult to grow
: (even in maritime climates) as it genetically possesses a multitude of
: problems.
:
: Ed