[NAFEX] bud sports

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri Aug 26 22:18:59 EDT 2005

	Twice in two days I have found what seem to be bud sports on two of my
fruit trees.

	While doing some summer pruning of a Cox's Orange Pippin, I found what
seems to be a spur type shoot.  The buds are spaced more closely than
on the other shoots, and they are almost whorled, with buds very close
to opposite each other.  My question for apple afficianados, like Ed
Facker, is "is there enough interest in a spur type Cox's Orange to
bother saving the shoot?"  I already cut it partly back before
realizing how odd it looked, but there is plenty left to reproduce it.

	The other oddity came on a red leaf plum of my own discovery.  It has
one shoot that is like a watersprout, but is much more vigorous and has
larger leaves.  Instead of being solid red, like the rest of the tree,
the leaves have bright green upper surfaces and red undersides.  I
suppose I'll have to let it bear fruit to see if THAT is different,
too, but I'm trying to decide if the odd appearance has any value.
-Lon Rombough
"Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.