[NAFEX] Peach Questions

Stephen Sadler Docshiva at Docshiva.org
Thu Aug 25 20:53:34 EDT 2005

I know sometimes people toss some green prunings onto hot coals, but I don't
think that does anything good for the flavor.  The wood should be thoroughly
dried, as for firewood, then - paradoxically - soaked before using, if using
a home smoker or barbecue.  Green wood never gets hot enough to cook food,
and the smoke seems off-flavored to me, sharp.  The dried then soaked wood
does become just as hot as dry wood does, imparts very good flavor, and the
soaking makes it produce more smoke over a longer time.

With a large smoker/barbecue unsoaked wood can be used.  The size of the
pieces of wood makes them burn over a long time and soaking is unnecessary.

Some barbecuers say that different woods produce different flavors, and they
try to match the wood to the food cooked.  Salmon, for instance, is said to
like peach, alder, and apple.  Others point out that hardwood smokes are
just smokey, imparting a delicious flavor but not one with detectable
differences in flavor from one hardwood to the other.

Some research does indicate that there is certainly a difference in how fast
wood smokes penetrate the food; mesquite is very fast, and not suitable for
longer cooking.  Hickory and oak are considered well suited for long cooking
times.  The fruitwoods are in between.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate