[NAFEX] Apple Damage - Any ideas?

derry and bill wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Mon Aug 22 00:04:20 EDT 2005

Joshua,

I don't know if msu is Michigan or Mississippi or Massachusetts. I'm in PNW so can
only speak for our pests.

Cut through the apple to confirm that the holes are superficial.

If the holes were on the shoulder of the apple i.e. the stem end, I'd say climbing
cutworms.

Was this apple turned up when it was developing i.e. so the calyx end is up?

If the hole is triangular, it could be bird pecks, but usually they peck the side
or the top of the apple. unless the apple is near the ground.

I get cutworm damage just as the apple is ripe and then the wasps and ladybugs and
earwigs move into the hole to eat the flesh/juice of the apple.

After a few days, the flesh darkens to give that bullseye appearance.

Once I see cutworm damage, I know the apples are ripe and should have been picked
a few days earlier - before the cutworm found them.

Derry

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Derry Walsh & Bill Chase
wchase at interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove,  B. C.,  Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
Home web pages: http://derrysorchardandnursery.ca
  Now I have all of these spots.  They appear to be mostly
: superficial.  Any ideas?
: -Joshua Van Camp
: jvancamp at tc3net.com