[NAFEX] Black Cherry

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Mon Aug 15 11:02:48 EDT 2005

In a message dated 8/14/2005 4:28:33 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
tanistanis at hotmail.com writes:

> Aren't the wilted leaves fatal to browsing cattle?

I understand they are in sufficient amounts. I did have cattle and they did
eat some black cherry leaves with no ill effect that I knew of.  But I didn't
drop a large tree and leave it in the pasture.

The Audubon Society's Field Guide to trees, says the fruit is eatable and
jelly and wine is made from the fruit. Also Wild cherry syrup made from the bark.

Purdue has a page on it's toxicity to animals at:

 http://vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant46.htm  Explains it.

Jerry