[NAFEX] When 2 Pik Apple

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Tue Aug 9 18:22:31 EDT 2005

It's taken me 25 plus years to finally grow an apple.  The first 21 years
were spent on the Gulf Coast of Texas where decent apples don't grow due to
the heat.  After I moved to the Midwest in 1998,  I immediately planted
dwarf apple trees and said goodbye to them within a year when we sold two
homes in IL and WI in order to make moves elsewhere furthering my husband's
career.  I've been on a glacier moraine on the Wisconsin-Illinois border
since Aug. 2003 and finally have an apple tree with fruit, thanks to Ed
Fackler's recommendation to include Pixie Crunch in my mini-orchard.

All this brings me to my question.  How do you tell when to pick an apple?
I don't have a clue.

BTW, the apples that set on the Pixie Crunch were thinned to three, due to
the young age of the tree.  Squirrels got one when it was dime-sized, and
before I decided to bag the two remaining ones, plum curlico got another.  I
have ONE perfect bagged apple.  We plan to have an apple tasting event--hard
cider, gourmet dinner and thin slices of the esteemed apple, along with
music, pomp and circumstance for at least eight guest.  This is a huge event
in my gardening life, and I plan to celebrate!  Now I need to know when to
schedule this party.
Doreen Howard