[nafex] Opening American chestnut shell/burr/?

Gordon Nofs gc_nofs at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:08:29 EDT 2004

Usually when they drop green they are immature or empty. Roll one under your
foot (with shoes on)
till it breaks open and find out.

Gordon C. Nofs
Flint, MI.

From: "Gene Spears" <Spears at LMC.edu>
To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex at lists.ibiblio.org>
Subject: RE: [nafex] Opening American chestnut shell/burr/?
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:14:46 -0400

The chestnut burrs should split open once they're completely dry.  You
can put them in a brown paper bag in a warm, dry spot, and they should
eventually open.  The other alternative, if you're impatient, is to use
a thick pair of work gloves and a small screwdriver to pry them open.

Gene
spears at lmc.edu