[NAFEX] Saskatchewan Cherry Question

Dean Kreutzer deankreutzer at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 21 09:34:39 EDT 2004

>Does any NAFEXer know what 'hoops' I'd have
>to jump through to get them stateside?

Officially, they have to go through Quarantine before being allowed legally
into the U.S.  That, is I believe a 2yr process and can be quite costly.  I
know that the SK Carmine Jewel cherry, which was released a few years ago is
in quarantine and may even be available next spring.  4 of the newest 5 that
are being quasi-released to growers here in Canada for testing have not been
put into quarantine.  These haven't been thoroughly tested here, nor even
named yet but I believe would be rock hardy in places like the mid-west U.S.
  They did come through -49F last winter with some damage but you also have
to take into account that they are in their original location where the
plant spacing is 3' - 4' apart, which makes them struggle a bit more.

In the end, it relies on money being spent to get plants through quarantine.

Dean Kreutzer
Regina, Saskatchewan Canada
USDA zone 3

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
first two months FREE*.