[NAFEX] wintergreen berries

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Mon Sep 20 17:58:39 EDT 2004

I agree, they grow in NH where I vacation, and they are usually very
small.  But I did notice that this year the fruits were larger and more
numerous than i have ever seen before.  (Larger as in the size of a
very big pea.)

The fruits are edible, but not worth eating, in my opinion.  The flavor
is mild, the consistency is sort of waxy, and there's no sweetness to
speak of.  I prefer to chew on the leaves, which are a little bitter
and have a pronounced wintergreen flavor.  They aren't sweet, either,
but I don't miss it in a leaf.

Ginda