[NAFEX] deer fence

RW Spalinger rwspal at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 13 23:04:36 EDT 2004

We have a garden about 20 meters away from one edge of the orchard,
with all kinds of deer goodies growing in it. We have a 6' high field
fence around it, and so far, the deer haven't jumped it - at least in
the last three years since we put up the fence.

I have to special order 10' T-posts as well as the field fence. T-posts
are the most economical supports I can find. I wanted to use 10'
schedule 40 galvanized pipe for the orchard fence, but the local
hardware store priced them at $97 per post. So, my orchard fence is all
T-posts and 85" field fence. I placed posts 6' apart at the corners and
put them in concrete, and contracted a local welder to weld 6' T-posts
between them for bracing.

We'll wait and see if the deer appreciate all the effort - and expense.

Randall S.