[NAFEX] apple tree blooming

Doreen Howard gardendiva at charter.net
Tue Sep 7 15:38:00 EDT 2004

Mark Lee wrote:
Why would an apple tree bloom this time of year?  The variety that now is in bloom is Fireside.  We had summer-like weather in April this year, followed by a dry stressful summer.  The last few weeks have been wet and cooler.

You answered your own question.  Stress will cause a fruit tree to bloom in late summer or early fall.  Disease, drought and extreme temperatures are all culprits that cause a second bloom.  I've seen it happen to peach trees several times.
Doreen Howard