[NAFEX] Re: nafex Digest, Vol 21, Issue 69

tanis cuff tanistanis at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 30 13:31:31 EDT 2004

I'm also trying to grow some pears, but rootstocks are a problem.  Have
tried bush cherries & apricots, but they didn't seem worth the fuss here;
might try again.  Red currants grow like weeds; tried Jostaberry but deer
devoured it.  Amelanchiers don't want to grow-- probably a soil pH/nutrient
fault.  (Deer also like these.)  Wild black cherries, wild grapes,
elderberries, plums grow freely all over, tho plums seem to be declining.
Wild blackberries fruit massively in road ditches which have good soil,
plenty of sun, and deep snow drifts in winter.  This was a great year for
black raspberries.  The biggest fruit problem this year was rain-- it
watered down the flavors.

Vole & rabbit foil:  I try to find the wide (18" ?) foil, heavy-duty, and
one layer is enough.  Need to crimp the wrapped edges, or the wind gradually
peals the foil off.  If I see a lot of vole activity, I might use 2-3 layers
of regular foil.  If the winter is bad, and voles many, and the trunk had
injury on it, the voles will find it and nibble thru the foil.  If voles are
this desperate, you might see damage in Sept already.  This is why other
people use wire window screen.  Be sure to get the edge of foil/screen down
into the soil as far as practical.