[NAFEX] publishing CDs

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Wed Oct 20 18:59:41 EDT 2004

There are several questions that must be asked and answered by someone
who has a background in law and copyright assignments.

Most nonprofit organizations that publish newsletters do not have a
procedure for each author/writer to sign allowing the organization to
publish their material in a specific format, North American or
International rights,  or definingif the publishing rights are one time
or multiple times.  Ask any member of the Garden Writers Association how
important a signed contract is when problems occur.

Just because there was no promise or expectation of payment for the
articles, this doesn't relieve the organization from obtaining the
proper releases prior to undertaking a self publishing effort for the
CDs. If Mother Earth News enters the picture, they will expect NAFEX or
the CRFG to be able to provide the necessary releases.

Who will distribute the CDs?  When I was the president of the CRFG,
there was a question of selling back issues of the annual year book and
quarterly newsletters.  We sold the person a membership for the year in
question and gave them  all the publications for that year. This avoided
the need to obtain a sales tax permit and  have to collect sales taxes,
file reports, and remit the sales tax collected quarterly.

Membership benefits in California, such as providing publications, are
exempt from sales tax assessments. It is possible that the same concept
could be used to provide back issues of POMONA on CDs - charge for the
membership expense of each year on the CD.  Discounts for payment prior
to pressing the CDs might reduce the cost without triggering the
collection of sales taxes.  Another possibility is adding an electronic
membership class with a lower assessed rate.

The devil is always in the details. If the end goal is worthwhile, the
time and effort to do the job once is worth the wait. Identifying the
potential problems and devising workable solutions must be our highest
priority.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA