[NAFEX] Help me pick which fundraiser apples to buy

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Tue Oct 19 21:33:27 EDT 2004

At 08:39 PM 10/19/2004 -0400, you wrote:
>- I want a wide variety, in terms of color, flavor, texture, ripening date,
>etc.  Mostly dessert, but I'll include one dessert-quality crab, one sauce
>and one cider apple, and at least one or two of them should be good for
>cooking too. Hopefully all, even the cider apple, will be palatable out of
>hand.
I'll vote for Centennial as the dessert-quality crab.  Callaway is good,
but it's really an ornamental type, with relatively large(1-1.5" max) fruit
for an ornamental crab.  Centennial has done well for me here in zone 6, as
well as for my dad, down in AL on the zone 7/8 interface.  Good fruit
quality/taste, reasonable size - in the range of 2-2.5".

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY