[NAFEX] Chinese Che or melon tree

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Thu Oct 7 09:28:34 EDT 2004

Hello All,

Here is a fruit that I must share pictures of with you. Several years back I
received a Cudrania tricuspidata, also known as che and Chinese mulberry from
Hidden Springs Nursery.

This is. I believe, it's fourth leaf and it has fruited. The fruit is now
soft and delicious. To me it tastes like mulberry with a hint of fig. In their
catalog they recommend ordering a male which I didn't. There are plenty of Osage
orange trees here which is of the same family and seemingly the pollinator.
These are seedless. No freeze damage at -20F this past winter.

Enclosed are pictures.  If anyone can't view them let me know and I'll send
as an attached JPG files.

Jerry Lehman, Indiana