[NAFEX] How to become a "fruit explorer"

Deb Schneider debs at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 16:15:12 EST 2004

I'm pretty new to "fruiting"...mostly I've grown berries in the past.  I've now started a small orchard (Kristin, Lapins and Bali cherry, a 4-in-1 Pluot, Queen Cox Apple, and Comice and Warren pears.

I am fascinated with the stories in Pomona about people riding around their neighborhoods discovering interesting fruits.  I'm wondering do folks knock on doors and ask to try the fruit or collect a sample?  How does one go about identifying what's safe to eat and what isn't?  I don't know a scion from a sapling...is there a good VERY basic book that describes what NAFEX experts are doing when the take a piece of a tree and start a new plant?

I live out in the country and often see interesting berry bushes, old fruit trees, even long ignored orchards.  I have a thorny tree (the blossoms look like apple blossoms) that has never fruited...I wonder if it might be a wild apple?  Would it set fruit if my Queen Cox pollinates it?

Thanks!

Deb Schneider
SE Ohio Zone 5b