[NAFEX] Legend, Myth Or Both?

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Sat Nov 20 11:12:31 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/20/2004 1:22:10 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
wizard2468 at juno.com writes:

>   I saw a program a few years ago that stated that Johnny Appleseed, who
> legend says spread apple seeds throughout a large area to supply food for
> people, was actually planting apple seeds so that hard cider could be
> produced.

Hello all,

A few years back at one of the annual NAFEX meetings we had a Johnny
Appleseed historian give a presentation. He said at that time one could get free land
from the US Gov. with the only stipulation was you had to do something with
it, not just hold it.  Also he went around the country helping people establish
orchards and did custom grafting.

Apparently in Chapman's travels he would get a patch of free land and plant
apple seeds for trees. That way when asked by the Gov. what he was doing with
this piece of ground or that he could honestly say planting apple trees. Yes,
that is being a smart business man.

Editorial: Even back then there were people who figured out how to take
advantage of Gov. programs, legally. Little doubt in my mind some of the settlers
made apple beer, but this presenter gave no hint of apple beer being a goal.
It was my opinion the main goal was building personal wealth by obtaining free
land and selling his hort. services.

Jerry

PS. There is a very fine apple beer made in England, imported and sold in the
US, "Kingfisher."      Try it.