[NAFEX] Hard Cider

Thomas Olenio tolenio at sentex.net
Sat Nov 20 09:41:42 EST 2004

Hello,

I went looking and found the nail that finished the coffin of hard cider
after prohibition...

=========
Hard Cider's Mysterious Demise
http://mason.gmu.edu/~drwillia/cider.html
[excerpt]
"Federal alcohol regulations of 19??, for unexplained reasons,
cider was expressly prohibited for sale if it contained any added
preservatives. What made this suspiciously noteworthy is that
wine and beer were not subject to the same restrictions. They
could continue to be sold across state lines even though they
contained sulfites and other preservatives. Only cider was so
restricted. The result, of course,  was to forestall the
redevelopment of any cider industry. This explains why today
cider can be sold at farm stands but that there is only a tiny
cider industry which is just now trying to become national. It is
hard to avoid the conclusion that the beer industry did its part
to make sure that cider would never again become America's
favorite low alcohol drink. "

The temperence movement was a major issue, but the above regulation
prevented the industry from recovering after prohibition was repealed.

I guess my memory is better than I thought.

Later,
Tom