[NAFEX] Storing pawpaw & persimmon seed.

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Fri Nov 19 14:43:07 EST 2004

In a message dated 11/18/2004 11:15:18 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
dporter at lisco.com writes:

> Thank you so very much for the paw paw seeds. They are a little moldy, but I
> am going to rinse them in warm water with clorox, and I'm sure they'll be
> fine.
>
> Diane Porter

Hi Diane,

I know what I'm going to write doesn't make sense, but here goes anyway. I've
done the same thing more than once only to find the mold after gets worse. It
was almost like there is another natural inhibitor of mold that the Clorox
also eliminates allowing subsequent mold to develop more profusely.

I'd suggest cleaning the seeds thoroughly making sure all fruit pulp is
removed. The sugars in the seed sack/pulp provide food for the mold. Then repack in
sphagnum moss or some other medium that is naturally slightly acidic and only
slightly dampened. They mold faster if too wet. Squeeze out all the excess
moisture you can from the sphagnum. Store in the frig, of course.

Jerry