[NAFEX] Fwd: Midwestern edible perennials?

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Fri Nov 12 22:54:21 EST 2004

The list below is a good one.   Another fruit to consider is
seviceberry or Juneberry (amelanchier).  It grows as a small tree or
large, upright bush.  It is an attractive landscape plant, and has
berries that look and taste very similar to blueberries.  It likes a
drier and less acid soil than blueberry, which can make it easier to
grow in "average" soil, or the limey soil you often have in the
midwest.  There was a nice discussion by Rich Kruse on Amelanchiers on
Oct 31 - I can forward it if you can't find it in the archives.

I've been happy with the edible landscape plants from St Lawrence
Nurseries ( http://www.sln.potsdam.ny.us/ ) but they are sort of local
to me (they're in upstate NY, and I am in Massachusetts) and I think
you do better with a local, or at least same-region supplier.

I don't have enough experience to opine on varieties of the fruits you
mention, but from what I've heard from other NAFEXers and what I've
seen in my own yard and my uncles, I can say that:

Apples tend to be fussy, especially if you want nice-looking fruit.
They are also sort of labor intensive re insects and harvesting.  The
modern disease resistant cultivars (Liberty et al) are a lot easier
than average.

Sour cherries are easier than sweet.  It's very hard to harvest either
before the birds get to them

Plums are fairly easy, although susceptible to black knot.  But my
uncle had a dozen plum trees that produced bushels of plums with almost
no effort for years, until there was a drought, and the weakened trees
succumbed to black knot.  (Or maybe they were just getting older.)

I find that kids enjoy eating red currants off the bush, and they are
very easy to grow.   Gooseberries may have more mildew/disease issues,
although I haven't grown them myself.  Black currants generally taste
better after being cooked, although our currant experts say that a few
(Titania, Ben Lomand) are good fresh.  Titania has the added virtue of
being immune to white pine blister rust.  (which is a more serious
disease of pines than of currants, but it's poor form to harbor vectors
of pine diseases).  Crandall Currant (Ribes Odoratum) is a totally
different plant than the European black currant, but it is a black
currant that's very easy to grow, is nice to nibble on out of hand, and
is very attractive in the spring landscape.

I find alpine strawberries easier than the regular ones.  (you need to
let the berries get very ripe to taste good.)

Raspberries often get infected with viruses in a few years, and get
less productive.  Everyone likes to eat them, though, and they don't
require much maintenance.  If it's warm enough the grow the
"everbearing" ones, they are easiest to maintain, as you can just mow
them to the ground at the end of every season.

I can't grow blackberries due to local fungal disease, but in general,
they are easy where they are hardy enough.  You are cold enough that
you'd want to check the USDA zone recommendations carefully.

Asparagus is easy, and sort of cool the way it grows.

you may be a bit too chilly for pawpaws, but I'm no expert on them.

Good luck,
Ginda Fisher