[NAFEX] Persimmon cuttings

Heron Breen breen at fedcoseeds.com
Fri Nov 12 13:06:58 EST 2004

Just to add a bit about softwood Persimmon cuttings, I sent to some to a
propagation nursery to try it. The results going into the winter are: Out of 16
cuttings, 6 rooted. Obviously this is a small number of cuttings, but a
reasonable success considering neither myself or the propagator really knew what
we were doing. But, the cuttings still have to survive winter dormancy, and the
propagator said the tops did not look great. My feeling is greater and lasting
success could come with lots of TLC and no dormant cycle, ie a heated greenhouse
enviroment and consistent misting well past the usual timing. Add bottom heat and
a bigger pot after initial rooting, and maybe the little things would live? I
will not know more about the conclusive resulls of this attempt until Spring.
Maybe grafting is cheaper! But, I tell ya, finding decent rootstock from
suppliers is kind of a problem. About 80% casualty rate this spring when the
rootstock was lined out.
Do Persimmons t-bud easily? Sheild-bud? Feedback would great!
Hope you are all well,
Heron