[NAFEX] Honey Berry coming in

Diane Whitehead voltaire at islandnet.com
Tue May 18 13:39:32 EDT 2004

When I visited Willowwood, the new Oregon nursery of the late Julius
Wadekamper (who had formerly had a nursery in Minnesota), among the
fields of lilies, peonies and Siberian iris were a few rows of edible
honeysuckle with pleasant-tasting berries.  He got the seed from
Latvia. I did not get the species name from him.

His Oregon nursery was near Mt. Hood, close to the headquarters of
the Species Lily Preservation Group which he founded.  The soil is
deep, with lots of pumice, since Mt Hood is a volcano, and there is a
lot of sunshine.  (Being from the cool misty coast, I tend to notice
bright blue skies.)

  I brought some seeds home which germinated in about two weeks, in
spring 2000, and the little plants are now about 10 cm high and
across (about 4 inches). I have to look hard to see them among the
sweet violets, but they are sturdy little bushlets. No flowers yet,
at least I don't think so. During the winter, deer keep the violets
mowed, and I guess it's possible they have also grazed on the
honeysuckles.  This winter I will move them inside the deer fence and
see if they grow taller and flower.

--
Diane Whitehead  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
maritime zone 8