[NAFEX] Carob

Claude Sweet hortventures at cox.net
Mon May 10 22:06:16 EDT 2004

There used to be a planting of about 30 mature carob trees that were
planted in Vista, CA. As I recall they were planted in the 1930's to
serve a trial various selections for possible commercial development.
The quality of the pods was very poor due to the high humidity (the site
is within 15 miles of the Pacific ocean).

Most of the efforts for commercial plantings centered in Baja
California, but they were not successful do to the fact that they were
not irrigated.  I don't recall any successful commercial plantings in
coastal Southern California.

I saw several large carob trees that were still producing at a private
Ag research station in Imperial County on the way to Yuma. It was just
off highway 8 and in a sad state of neglect when I stopped by over 10
years ago. They would have had access to plenty of water to irrigate.
The dry desert climate would seem to have been ideal except for the late
summer and early fall storms that sometimes come up from the Sea of
Cortez and damage the date crops in Palm Springs.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA