[NAFEX] Hornworms on Apples??

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Fri May 7 18:14:45 EDT 2004

I had several of these a year ago or so - giant caterpillars
defoliating my little apple tree.  At first I thought they were tomato
hormworms, but I looked them up in my trusty bug guide, and indeed,
they were sphinx, just as Lon says.  I treated them like tomato
hornworms, though. (e.g., hand picked them off the plant.  big suckers,
but they can be hard to see hiding under the leaves.)  I've also had
large swallowtail caterpillars on the apples.

Ginda