[NAFEX] Hornworms on Apples??

Lon J. Rombough lonrom at hevanet.com
Fri May 7 15:38:38 EDT 2004

The Achemon sphinx moth has a caterpillar that looks very much like the
tomato hornworm, but it feeds on non-solanaceous plants.  In California it
is often found on grapes.  You might have that or another sphinx moth
species, but the true tomato hornworm only feeds on solanaceous plants.

I just found what appears to be a tomato hornworm on my apples.  It
seems to be feasting on my very small nickel-sized apples - it eats them
about half-way, and then moves on.

Has anyone ever seen this?  It's a first for me - I thought they just
did solanaceae.

Thanks,