[NAFEX] Source for persimmon pulp?

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Wed Jun 30 12:28:20 EDT 2004

Hello all,

I send this reply with, "tongue in cheek."

Dillman Foods at Bloomington Indiana produces about 6,000 pounds of frozen
pulp annually and sell all of it to the best of my knowledge. I've seen it
retailing for as high as $6.50/pint. I know of no producer of canned pulp now. Here
is an opportunity for a cottage industry. Dymple Green canned several
thousand pounds annually before retiring and likewise selling all of it. Marsh Food
Liner wanted her to produce enough for them to carry it on their grocery
shelves.

Here is the tongue in cheek part: I do have frozen pulp in the freezer and
get $4.50/ pint. Problem with direct sales of pulp is keeping it frozen in
transit. Fed-X costs more than the pulp. I'm not State inspected so can't sell it
wholesale for resale. I live near the intersection of US 41 and I-70 in
Indiana.

Dillman freezes the fruit till they get enough to run it through the line
which makes it very dark in color, loosing the normal orange color and eye
appeal, but people buy and use it. Persimmon pudding is dark in color anyway.
Dillman I believe has a web site.

The market for pulp is there, plant your commercial orchard now!

Jerry