[NAFEX] cherry plums

Jwlehman at aol.com Jwlehman at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 22:54:50 EDT 2004

In a message dated 6/29/2004 10:01:47 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
lonrom at hevanet.com writes:

> A couple of the red leaf types are fairly good as ornamentals with edible
> fruit, but that's about all.

Raintree Nursery has a plum, Kuban Burgundy TM with fruit larger than
cherries, near normal plum size, with a good hint of Bing Sweet cherry flavor. Almost
everyone that I've given samples to can easily discern the Bing flavor. It is
an upright bushy tree and would work in eatable landscape where higher growth
is wanted to expose shorter landscaping to the rear. It does need a
pollinator and am told European plums are best. I believe some P. cerasifera varieties
will also work.

Jerry