[NAFEX] Re: chestnuts

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Sun Jun 20 11:03:08 EDT 2004

On Jun 19, 2004, at 12:28 PM, Heron Breen wrote:

> Ginda and others, I think the most important lesson from the Chestnut
> is one of
> our perspective. That perspective is one of Nature not knowing enough,
> not being
> perfect, and at the same time our economy pushing her threshholds
> beyond any
> realistic expectation.

Another lesson is to beware of importing plants from areas that have
different pathogens.  When I started planting my garden, I bought some
plants from the west coast.  Over time I bought fewer, as i noticed
that the trip was difficult, and I needed to plant west-coast plants
out-of-synch with the best weather for planting here in the east.
Since learning about Sudden Oak Death, I have stopped buying stuff from
west of the rockies - despite some trouble finding the blueberry
cultivars I wanted to try.  SOD can be carried on all sorts of stuff,
specifically including blueberry.  I only learned of this because a
west-coast vendor indicated it couldn't ship blueberry to one of the
east-coast states, and I decided to look up why not.  A single state
has imposed a quarantine on plants from SOD-infected states.  Too
little, too late, since nursery giant Monrovia accidentally shipped
infected material to most of the east coast a year prior to the
quarantine.

SOD also infects rhododendron,  camellia, maple, chestnut, beech, horse
chestnut, Douglas Fir, viburnim, lilac, and lots of other stuff.  And
no one really knows what else.  (It doesn't kill many of these - mostly
it's a minor but annoying leaf/stem blight, but those sick leaves can
kill oaks.)

( http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/comtf/html/about_sudden_oak_death.html
has a fairly current list)

And who knows what other pathogens are lurking out there, harmless in
their native habitat, with adapted hosts, but ready to kill when they
are transported to relatives of their native hosts.

Ginda