[NAFEX] American Chestnut/ACCF

list at ginda.us list at ginda.us
Tue Jun 15 21:31:25 EDT 2004

On Jun 15, 2004, at 2:45 PM, Lucky Pittman wrote:

> At 05:42 PM 6/15/2004 +0000, Tanis wrote:
>> I happened to see the May 04 issue of Discovery magazine; article
>> about progress in breeding a blight-resistant population of american
>> chestnuts, or at least finding a fungus which will fight the blight.
>> I found it interesting enough to mention on this list.
>
> Tanis,
> Couldn't access the entire article, but since it mentioned Gary
> Griffin, I'm presuming it detailed the work of Gary, his wife Louise,
> the VA Tech folks, and all the American Chestnut Cooperators
> Foundation volunteers who are working to 'revive' the American
> Chestnut with a breeding program utilizing only 'pure' American
> chestnut genetics.
> ACCF, being largely a volunteer organization, often seems to take a
> back seat in media coverage to The American Chestnut Foundation, which
> appears to be better funded - but TACF is using an infusion of Chinese
> chestnut genetics to provide blight resistance, rather than selecting
> pure American trees which exhibit innate resistance to infection with
> the blight fungus.
>
> For anyone interested, please check out the ACCF website at:
> http://ipm.ppws.vt.edu/griffin/accf.html
>
> Lucky

Although from what I hear, the American Chestnut Foundation has
isolated the ~6 genes that determine resistance in Chinese Chestnuts,
and are backbreeding with American Chestnut to create a hybrid with
those six genes and nearly nothing else from the Chinese tree.  I
thought it was a neat idea.

Ginda