[NAFEX] Southern serviceberries

Lucky Pittman lucky.pittman at murraystate.edu
Thu Jun 3 10:35:59 EDT 2004

At 06:56 AM 6/3/2004 -0700, Lon wrote:
>A. laevis is supposed to grow down to Florida.  "Jennybelle" is a
>selection of it.

Everything I read indicates that identifying/speciating the Amelanchiers is
difficult, and it may be splitting hairs - or, maybe there's just a
division of opinion, but I was under the impression that "Jennybelle" was a
selection from A.obovata - but if you get down to it, it's purely academic
as to what specific epithet you attach to it.

I've got "Jennybelle" in my plantings, and while it's still quite young -
has only fruited for the past 3 years - I'm not overly impressed with
it.  Certainly less productive than the A.laevis trees in town at the
library, fruits are not any larger than A.laevis, and I don't think they're
as tasty as the A.laevis.

Ran across some landscape plantings of serviceberries - I'm presuming some
A.X grandiflora selection - around a shopping mall & Wendy's restaurant in
Clarksville, TN, a couple of weeks back, and I was quite impressed with the
size of the fruits - easily 2X, maybe 3X the size of any of the
A.alnifolias, A.laevis, or "Jennybelle" - and heavier production than what
I've experienced with Jennybelle.  No evidence of rust on leaves, branches,
or fruits.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7