[NAFEX] ladybug and wasp damage

Erdman, Jim ErdmanJ at uwstout.edu
Tue Jun 1 10:07:40 EDT 2004

Louisa said:
Ladybugs don't eat plants.  They eat aphids, which are the real culprit.  Aphids not only consume foliage (and flowers?), they spread several serious diseases of peaches.

Over the last couple of years I have been watching the Asian lady bugs closely,  and they are either eating my apples once the skin is broken, or they are eating insects not visible with a magnifying glass.  In the house in winter I find them apparently eating vegetable and fruit scraps, too.
Their bite can be painful, and leave a red welt for months.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI